Covid-19 in the news this week
- India Approves First Heterologous COVID-19 Booster Shot for Adults
- HIV Infection Increases Odds of Severe COVID-19
- Moderna, EU officials delay COVID-19 vaccine deliveries as demand falls
- Successful Phase 3 Trial of Novel COVID-19 Vaccine from Chinese Company
- Novavax COVID shot effective but carries heart risk, FDA says
- Johnson & Johnson terminating COVID-19 vaccine contract with Emergent
- Hormone replacement therapy linked to lower COVID-19 mortality risk
- Moderna ‘bivalent’ Covid booster provides stronger protection against omicron
- FDA advisors recommend the Novavax COVID vaccine
- Molnupiravir reduces hospitalizations and deaths in at-risk, unvaccinated adults with COVID
- More immune-evasive BA.4 and BA.5 grow their share of new COVID-19 cases in US
- Imatinib yields sustained clinical benefit in patients with hypoxemic COVID-19
- Ginkgo biloba in the management of the COVID-19 severity
- AstraZeneca’s touts Evusheld treatment data for COVID
- WHO: COVID cases and deaths falling nearly everywhere
- Catalent, MigVax enter deal to develop tablet vaccine for Covid-19
- Veru seeks FDA EUA for oral antiviral drug to treat Covid-19
- Tevogen begins final dose level in study of Covid-19 cell therapy
- Diseases suppressed during Covid are coming back in new and peculiar ways
- CyanVac Announces Data from Preclinical Studies of Intranasal PIV5-based COVID-19 Vaccine Candidate CVXGA1
DrugVisual Covid-19 links
Net daily sentiment ranged from -39.33 for Remdesivir on Saturday the 11th to 37.21 for Moderna vaccine on Saturday the 11th.
The sentiment for each tweet is scored from -1 (most negative) to +1 (most positive) using VADER sentiment analysis. Net sentiment is calculated by summing the sentiment across all tweets for a given day and/or category, then normalizing the score by the number of tweets.
Medical conditions from the MedDRA dictionary
Infection was the most frequently observed medical condition mentioned. Fall had the highest overall net sentiment of 18.26. Poisoning had the lowest net sentiment this week (-45.91).
MedDra is a standardized medical terminology developed by the International Council for Harmonization Cross-referencing tweets against this list is a starting point for identifying medical conditions mentioned in tweets.
Cross-referencing the MedDRA dictionary by sentiment and topic
There were 142 tweets with an strong positive sentiment. The top 10 most frequent medical conditions mentioned within these tweets were (1) Fall, (2) Worry, (3) Infection, (4) Sickness, (5) Cancer, (6) Coldness, Cold, (7) Forgetfulness, (8) Fever, (9) Flu, (10) Paralysis. Of these terms, Coldness, Cold (n=6), Paralysis (n=5) were not in the top 10 most frequent terms across all tweets.
There were 224 tweets with an strong negative sentiment. The top 10 most frequent medical conditions mentioned within these tweets were (1) Infection, (2) Cancer, (3) Sickness, (4) Flu, (5) Pain, (6) Poisoning, (7) Forgetfulness, (8) Fall, (9) Shingles, (10) Fever. Of these terms, Pain (n=13) were not in the top 10 most frequent terms across all tweets.
The 25 most important words within positive tweets (compared to negative and neutral) tweets are shown in the treemap below. The size of each box represents the weighted score of each word. The word “biontech” within the search for “Pfizer vaccine” had the highest overall weight. When the words are summed for each topic, Moderna vaccine had the highest overall weight.
The 25 most important words within negative tweets (compared to positive and neutral) tweets are shown in the treemap below. The word “get” within the search for “Moderna vaccine” had the highest overall weight. When the words are summed for each topic, “Pfizer vaccine” had the highest overall weight within negative tweets.
This analysis of words evaluates the stemmed version of words using the Snowball algorithm. By stemming words, words with similar meaning, such as pain, painful & pained, are grouped together as simply “pain”.
Beta: text classification
Tweets that describe adverse events/side effects (first person point of view)
|tweet||search topic(s)||medical condition(s) mentioned|
|fuck moderna vaccine every inch of my body aches so fucking bad my mouth is so bitter and my stomach is very nauseated i feel like throwing up at any moment I CAN’T EVEN LIFT MY HAND FUCK I’M TREMBLING IT’S ALSO HARD FOR ME JUST TO BREATHE it causes me a high af fever and –||moderna vaccine||Ache, Fever, Nauseated, Trembling|
|The wife has some bad symptoms from covid. Coughing, a fever, sore throat and weakness. I felt like I was going to get sick yesterday but today I’m fine.
I took the J&J vaccine in January, Vitamin D for almost a year, and my weightlifting/cardio game was good. I was prepared.
|johnson and johnson vaccine||Coughing, Cough, Fever, Sickness, Sore throat, Weakness|
|I had covid not so bad and then 4-6 weeks after I went down with neurological type symptoms, could not breath, fatigue that was crippling and I would crash with any exertion, pain was terrible. I then had the Vaccine and I got much worse. Ivermectin and triple got me out of bed||ivermectin||Fatigue, Pain|
|Yep, I got shingles after having the Moderna vaccine. Thankfully not too painful, but the itch, wow and just felt quite unwell for a week or so. Do avoid it.||moderna vaccine||Itching, Pain, Shingles|
|I was 68 when I got Covid. Had a few sniffles and mild body aches and that was it. Never took anything. I was shooting baskets in my driveway everyday while I quarantined. No ivermectin, no problem.||ivermectin||Ache|
|since i feel a bit recovered from the side effect stress that the moderna vaccine gave me, i’ll be drinking coffee and watching stranger things again <U+0001F449><U+0001F3FB><U+0001F448><U+0001F3FB>||moderna vaccine||Stress|
|Switched to Moderna for my second booster. Previously had 3 pfizer vaccine & booster. I had absolutely no reactions to the 2nd booster. I was so nervous about the switch but experienced zero side-effects, not even a sore arm.||pfizer vaccine||Nervousness, Nervous|
|I just beat COVID with Ivermectin. Took it at the beginning of Day Two of symptoms & positive test. 48 hours later, it’s like I was never sick this week.||ivermectin||Sickness|
|idc about the Biebs having facial paralysis becos I dont know him. BUT.. it did enlighten me that theres apparently a connection between Shingles & the Pfizer vaccine. Bro got two boosters. TWO. Ive had my one booster & thats all she wrote. im officially done AF <U+0001F602>||pfizer vaccine||Paralysis, Shingles|
|What do they put in the Moderna vaccine as I’ve barely slept since having it and I’m as high as a kite. In pain but no where near sleepy when usually I sleep for 9+ hours a night. Crazy!||moderna vaccine||Pain, Sleepiness, Sleepy|
|I had 3 vaxes & got a terrible case of COVID with pneumonia. I got monoclonal antibodies which helped! After sleeping 22 hours a day for 3 weeks, I finally started improving. Still ended up with Long COVID. That’s the end of COVID vaxes for me! They pushed me & I lost all trust.||monoclonal antibodies||Pneumonia|
|Yesterday got booster dose of Moderna vaccine. Today suffering from pain in left arm plus 104° temperature||moderna vaccine||Pain|
|Me and my unvaccinated family currently have Covid. Day 1 was pretty bad but not terrible just a normal flu with a fever, achy, headache. We all took ivermectin and HCQ and now day 2 we all feel almost back to normal. Just low energy||ivermectin||Fever, Flu, Headache|
|It happened to me after receiving the 1st dose of the Moderna vaccine. Disseminated shingles with some near/in my ear. Diagnosed with Ramsey Hunt in ER stay a week after the shot.||moderna vaccine||Shingles|
|“I received the J&J vaccine 5/1921. Since, I’ve HAD debilitating fatigue, sleeping 14+ hrs/day. My body aches head 2 toe. I have muscle stiffness/weakness, w/no relief. I’m completely swollen, have gained 12 lbs., have debilitating brain fog, …||johnson and johnson vaccine||Ache, Fatigue|
|5 weeks after my second Moderna vaccine I got shingles and Bell’s palsy to the left side of my face. That was 11 months ago, spent 4 days in the hospital. <U+0001F633>||moderna vaccine||Bell’s palsy, Shingles|
|_T No jab. Got COVID. Down for 3 days with flu like symptoms. Another week to feel normal again.
Got hydroxycloriquine, doxycycline and ivermectin OTC where I live.
Beefed up my vitamins and stayed away from people.
10 days, beginning to end and it was no worse than the flu
|_icenhower After I got Covid I contacted the James Clinic and they sent me Ivermectin, Hydroxychloroquine, and z-pac. I have never been so sick in my life. I have a rare form of leukemia but, I still felt there was something off about that jab! I refused it||hydroxychloroquine, ivermectin||Sickness|
|I got COVID in Feb 2020 before the lockdown & recovered OK. However, after the J&J vaccine, I got another round of COVID & never quite recovered. So exhausted I couldn’t function. Heart&Soil’s Warrior supplement is the 1 thing that has actually helped me.||johnson and johnson vaccine||Exhaustion|
|dno if it’s a coincidence but i get a dull stabbing pain in the exact spot where i had my last pfizer vaccine every week and that’s been happening for 4 months now and i’ve googled it and it’s happened to loads of people too <U+0001F633> wish it would go away it’s agony sometimes!||pfizer vaccine||Pain|
This classifier was trained on a set of tweets manually reviewed and tagged. The classifier was trained using GloVe, a pretrained word embedding layer.
Webpage created in R version 4.1.0 (2021-05-18) and R Studio (Version 1.4.1717) using the following packages: plotly, kableExtra, formattable, treemap, and wordpressr.
- C. Sievert. Interactive Web-Based Data Visualization with R, plotly, and shiny. Chapman and Hall/CRC Florida, 2020.
- Hao Zhu (2021). kableExtra: Construct Complex Table with ‘kable’ and Pipe Syntax. R package version 1.3.4.
- Kun Ren and Kenton Russell (2021). formattable: Create ‘Formattable’ Data Structures. R package version 0.2.1.
- Martijn Tennekes (2021). treemap: Treemap Visualization. R package version 2.4-3.
- Simit Patel (2021). wordpressr: An API Wrapper for WordPress Site APIs. R package version 0.1.0.
- WHO COVID-19 Dashboard. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2020. Available online: https://covid19.who.int/ (last cited: Jun 16, 2022).
- Hutto, C.J. & Gilbert, E.E. (2014). VADER: A Parsimonious Rule-based Model for Sentiment Analysis of Social Media Text. Eighth International Conference on Weblogs and Social Media (ICWSM-14). Ann Arbor, MI, June 2014.